Have you been in the case of forgetting where you put the Siri remote for your Apple TV? If you have not, it’s still a good idea to have a backup remote without worrying about purchasing the new one in case it gets lost. The great news is that you can take advantage of your iPhone to turn it into an Apple TV remote. The first thing you have to do is downloading a third party app from the App Store. There are two different options available for you to use and both are free.
Download Apple TV Remote app
The Apple TV Remote app is specifically designed for the Apple TV and it’s also easy to set up and use on your iPhone.
Set up Apple TV Remote app
Once you downloaded the app on your iPhone, simply open it and switch on your Apple TV. The app will automatically do its work when finding your Apple TV. But make sure both your Apple TV and iPhone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
How to Use Apple TV Remote app
In order to use the app, you simply glide your finger in the large open section. Just tap to open an app.
There will be a Menu button, which is similar to your Siri remote. You also see buttons for playing and pausing music, going straight to the TV App on your TV, or summon Siri.
Download iTunes Remote App
Do you want a remote app that can do more than only your Apple TV? If yes, simply try the iTunes Remote app. It allows you to control iTunes and Apple TV. Once you download the app, you will have two options to connect it to your Apple TV.
Set it up with Home Sharing
If you have already enabled Home Sharing, then this option is very simple.
- Tap on Set Up Home Sharing option in the iTunes Remote app.
- When you are prompted, log in your Apple ID and password.
- If you see the confirmation, tap on OK, and select the Apple TV icon to use the app.
Set up iTunes Remote app manually
If you do not like using the Home Sharing feature, you can then manually pair the app with your Apple TV. To do so:
- Tap on Add a Device in the app.
- From your Apple TV, head to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote App and Devices. If your TV is running on older versions, simply go to Settings > Remotes and Devices.
- Under Pairable Devices section, choose your phone.
- Type the code showing up on the app on your Apple TV.
Use iTunes Remote app
In order to use the iTunes Remote app, you have to glide your finger in the space area of the app. Tap to open the app. You will then see a Menu button along with play and pause buttons as well as an Options button. To get a quick view of the available gestures, simply tap on the question mark.